Hi Lifters!! My sincerest apologies for being so absent from this page – those who follow me on Facebook may have seen my big apologetic ranch that I posted the other day and I have made the promise to post each and EVERY Friday. Cross my heart!
Well, so where to start – is it too late to say Happy New Year? For those of you who made New Year resolutions I hope you’re sticking to them and haven’t given up. Persistence is key! Did you know only 64% of resolutions last longer than 1 month?
I’m taking this year off medical school and spending my time doing things I enjoy, learning more about myself, and adding to my resume. So no real excuse for missing my blogging ;). I’ve been taking time off my usual resistance training as I was advised by a shoulder specialist that 2 months was necessary to help my shoulder heal. I’ve been continuing the cardio but can’t wait to get back into the weight room!! I’m seeing a psychiatrist and learning to love myself more – not in an arrogant way but in an appreciation/respect/acceptance way. So many people, especially women, tend to loathe their appearance and lack self-acceptance. We, as a society, need to change this <3
Hope you are all well, and I’d love to hear about things you’ve done that you are proud of; goals you have achieved, recipes that you’ve created, stepping outside your comfort zone etc.
Motivation: I’ve decided to stop using photos of people as motivational pictures on my blog. I think it is important that we focus more on eating well and exercising, rather than targeting a specific appearance or body shape. The beautiful body will follow – and you’re attitude towards yourself and food will be so much healthier. However, I’ll still be putting photos up on my Facebook page for the time being.
Have you ever had quinoa? Pronounced “keen-wah”, it’s known as a superfood – high protein, low GI, gluten-free, and has a delicious nutty flavour. I really love it but it needs to be cooked just right. The method that has worked best for me is a 1:2½ ratio (quinoa:water). See below for cooking instructions.
Organic Quinoa with Moroccan Lamb, Fresh Mint and Greek Yoghurt
½ cup capsicum, chopped
¼ cup frozen peas
¼ cup frozen corn
¼ cup onion
Lamb (lean cut e.g. loin chop, leg)
¼ cup olives, sliced
½ cup mushroom, sliced
3x cherry tomatoes
½ cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
¾ cup water
- Combine rinsed quinoa with water and bring to a boil in an uncovered saucepan
- When it starts to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is light and fluffy
- Meanwhile, sprinkle raw lamb with Moroccan spices
- Place a frying pan on medium-high heat and cook lamb as desired (I prefer on the medium-rare side)
- Once cooked you may remove the lamb and slice it into desired size
- Put lamb back in the frying pan with onion, mushroom, and capsicum
- Cook until onion is translucent then throw in cooked quinoa along with the peas, corn, olives, tomatoes, and more Moroccan spice
- Stir until warmed through, then serve with fresh mint and Greek yoghurt